Some highlights on how to prepare and take action are available below:
- Gather Information
- Plan & Take Action
- Know if you live in an evacuation area. Assess your risks and know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind. Understand National Weather Service forecast products and especially the meaning of NWS watches and warnings.
- Contact your local National Weather Service office and local government/emergency management office. Find out what type of emergencies could occur and how you should respond.
Plan & Take Action:
- Everyone needs to be prepared for the unexpected. Your friends and family may not be together when disaster strikes. How will you find each other? Will you know if your children or parents are safe? You may have to evacuate or be confined to your home. What will you do if water, gas, electricity or phone services are shut off?
- Wait until an area is declared safe before returning home.
- Remember that recovering from a disaster is usually a gradual process.